Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Chicago: One Big Waiting Room

My Utmost for His Highest, August 1
He works where He sends us to wait. ". . . tarry . . . until . . ." (Luke 24:49 ). "Wait on the Lord" and He will work (Psalm 37:34 ). But don’t wait sulking spiritually and feeling sorry for yourself, just because you can’t see one inch in front of you! Are we detached enough from our own spiritual fits of emotion to "wait patiently for Him"? ( Psalm 37:7 ). Waiting is not sitting with folded hands doing nothing, but it is learning to do what we are told.

Luke 24:49
“I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."

Psalm 37:34
“Wait for the LORD and keep his way. He will exalt you to inherit the land; when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.”

Psalm 37:7
“Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.”

Yesterday David had a very encouraging conversation with a Swiss manager about our potential move over there sometime in the next two years. It confirmed our hopes for living abroad and a big reason we moved to Chicago. The waiting is hard, though. I find myself wanting to jump to the next step immediately, leaving all learning and opportunities for patience behind.

I know we’re supposed to be here. I know we’re supposed to wait. I know waiting is not necessarily mountaintop or thrilling or something amazing to write home about, but it’s purposeful and obedient. So, I will try not to feel sorry for myself just b/c I can’t see one inch in front of me, and try to exercise patience in this waiting room.

No comments: