Monday, October 29, 2007

Finding Purpose With Nothing To Do

It's been a strange four weeks. Not having a job has forced me to seriously deal with my source of purpose. I have had mostly "OK" days, with a few bouts of the blues, wanting to stay inside and watch Sense and Sensability over and over and over in my sweats and slippers. I've had several leads, none of which have come through. The "freelance" thing is a romantic idea, but truly means working from home with no other human interaction and very sporadic work and pay.

At the same time, we're witnessing an ongoing battle between our landlord and neighbor that is ruthless and selfish. It makes me want to get out from under this lease as soon as possible. But as we've visited that idea over and over again, the best thing for us to do is to wait and try to stay out of any kind of relationship with our landlord beyond our monthly rent check.

I had a very promising interview last week, but when I mentioned my Young Life experience one of the interviewers seemed to shut down and then became very negative for the rest of the interview. I may have read him incorrectly, but then again, maybe not. Aside from that, the interview was great and the other two interviewers were very enthusiastic about me as a candidate. The one who shut down was the final say, and hiring manager for the position. I haven't yet heard back from the company, and don't expect that I will. Not a pity party, but a notable experience.

I read Isaiah 8:11-14,
"The Lord spoke to me with his strong hand upon me, warning me not to follow the way of this people. He said: Do not call conspiracy everything that these people call conspiracy; do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread, and he will be a sanctuary; but for both houses of Israel he will be a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall."

Jesus Christ is a stumbling block to the world. Whether or not my suspicion is true about the interviewer, why should I be surprised if mentioning my affiliation with Him disqualifies me from a job, a friendship, a place or position? He is gloriously controversial and my identity rests in His resurrection and victory over death. With this assurance, I may not have a job, but I certainly have a purpose.

3 comments:

steph alease said...

thats interesting about young life sister...i am always wondering what that will be like for me when im done here since i have desires to move out into the "secular" work place. whatever that even means....

The Royal Garcias said...

It was pretty strange. I didn't get the job–the HR rep mentioned a few things that particular guy said and none of them were really substantial... makes me think my hunch was correct.
I don't think I'm too surprised by it, but a little jolted, since that's the first time anything like that has happened.
Who knows what it means for you, but I know that God does give us the desires of our hearts!
I know that I'll eventually have a job–and for some reason I felt compelled to speak about my YL experience at that particular interview. Maybe it was God protecting me from a potentially horrible experience. Who knows. Or maybe I just wasn't good enough, but in the end He gives and takes away. I'm ready for some giving! :)

Lauren said...

Hey, beautiful! Any new news? I'm praying for you and proud of you!